Working After Retirement

Retirement is seen as a time to stop working and spend the rest of your life slowing down and enjoying the leisurely activities you didn’t always have time for while you were working. But maybe you have been considering working after you retire.

If you are considering working after your retirement, you will be in good company. Surveys have shown that almost two thirds of Americans not yet retired say when they retire they are planning to continue working at some type of job that will continue earning them a paycheck.

The reasons for working during retirement are:

  • To make a little extra money.

  • To have something to do.

  • To get by because you cannot make it on what you saved toward retirement.

Unfortunately, most people will work due to the third reason.

But with good planning if you choose to work when you are retired it will be for either the first or second reason.

If you are thinking about working after retirement you should consider it part of your financial planning. In fact, a job during your retirement could have a positive or negative affect depending on how you plan for it. Some of the things you’ll need to look at are:

Will a job affect my retirement income?

  • Could I lose my Social Security benefits?

  • Will my pension be affected?

How should I begin my job search?
  • Where should I look for a job?

  • Will you be able to get a job?

  • What things should I consider when looking for a job?

We will look at these and other things in the next installments of this series.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: